REPORTING: RABBIT ZIELKE
The 20th American Trails National Symposium will be in Chattanooga November 14th – 17th at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Bringing the event to the scenic city was accomplished through partnerships and collaborations with state, county and city agencies along with nonprofit organizations in town. American Trails is a national nonprofit organization that works through advocacy, education and networking, to establish sustainable trail systems all across America. The stated goal of the organization is to help develop trail systems within 15 minutes of every American home and workplace.
The Symposium will feature workshops on a variety of topics including how to plan, design and build sustainable trail systems. There are also sessions on networking and establishing partnerships with agencies and organizations as well as promoting recreational trail systems at the state and local level. Partnerships are significant to the selection process for the Symposium destination. American Trails is working with several local agencies and organizations to showcase local trail systems and organize the conference. Some of the partners include:
- Chattanooga Convention & Visitors Bureau
- City of Chattanooga Parks & Recreation Department
- Hamilton County
- Outdoor Chattanooga
- Tennessee Department of Environment & Conservation
- Tennessee Greenways & Trails
- Trust for Public Land
- Tennessee Council on Greenways & Trails
- Cumberland Trail Conference
- Chattanooga Hiking Club
- North Chickamauga Creek Conservancy
- Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association
- Tennessee River Gorge Trust
- South Chickamauga Creek Greenway Alliance
- Southern Appalachian Forest Coalition
If you are interested in getting involved with local trail development or to volunteer to assist with the Symposium, contact Outdoor Chattanooga at (423) 643-6888.
Listen to the story.